Little Patients, Big Problems: Common Childhood Dental Issues
Although your children's teeth have been in their mouths for a shorter period of time, they face many of the same common dental problems as adults. Prompt attention to developing symptoms can save time and money, and spare your little ones unnecessary pain.
Here are some of the tooth and mouth problems we commonly see with kids:
- Tooth decay is extremely common among children. It is caused by bacteria and plaque acids that attack and destroy tooth enamel. Attention to diet and strict oral hygiene can help prevent decay.
- Thumb sucking is not usually a cause for concern unless it persists after the development of permanent teeth. At this stage, it could affect dental health. We can work with your child to find a solution.
- Gum disease, also called gingivitis, is an inflammation of gum tissue that can progress to bone damage and tooth loss. It is often caused by poor oral hygiene. We can help reverse early stages of gum disease, and improve your child's oral hygiene habits.
- Bad breath can affect people of any age. Potential sources of mouth odor include poor dental hygiene, inflames gums, and dry mouth. It may also be related to medical issues.
- An over-retained primary tooth is a baby tooth that remains in position while a permanent tooth is trying to erupt into the same space. It could indicate impaction or a congenital abnormality. Early diagnosis ensures a better outcome.
- Tooth grinding is common during childhood development. It can damage primary or permanent teeth and can even cause pain. We can treat the problem with a custom night guard to protect the teeth.
Let's continue the conversation on Facebook. LIKE our Facebook page and share your questions with us and our online community.
Call BLUSH Dental Studio today at (404) 445-6100 or request an appointment online. We look forward to welcoming you to our practice.
At BLUSH Dental Studio — the dental practice of East Point dentist Dr. Kisha Carter, we believe that having a healthy and beautiful smile helps you live a better life. As a result, we offer you and your family a unique dental experience by providing modern, compassionate and affordable comprehensive dental care. Contact us today or request a convenient appointment online. We look forward to welcoming you to BLUSH Dental Studio and helping you achieve your optimal smile and oral health.